The Benefits of Essential Oils to Cattle
The global essential oil market is growing, and the sale of bulk essential oils continues to increase due to many factors. One study showed that oregano essential oil and prebiotic combination (EOC) has a decided effect on the growth, development, and health status of growing neonatal calves. The inclusion of an EOC blend into a pelleted calf starter (CS) demonstrated promising benefits for enhancing calf growth, ruminal development, gut health, nutrient digestibility, and immunity. The study concluded that use of an oregano essential oil and prebiotic combination (EOC) blend can be a plausible alternative to antibiotics for improving calf performance, health, and immunity.
Ruminant livestock production has been identified as a significant contributor to greenhouse gas emissions. In recent years, numerous strategies to mitigate methane emissions through the modulation of ruminal fermentation have been reported. Feeding natural feed additives has shown promising results. Among these natural additives essential oils (EO), have demonstrated antimicrobial activities. Other studies suggest that oregano essential oil supplementation can modify ruminal fermentation to alter VFA concentrations and reduce methane emissions by altering the ruminal bacterial community. Essential oils have also been investigated as potential modifiers of ruminal biohydrogenation of dietary lipids, with the goal of enhancing healthful characteristics of milk and meat.
Oregano (Origanum vulgare L.) is an herb with higher antioxidant capacity than other medicinal herbs. The primary constituents of oregano essential oil are carvacrol, γ-terpinene, thymol, p-cimene, and linalool. Oregano essential oil has been reported to have the second-highest oxygen radical absorbance capacity compared with clove (the highest), followed by cinnamon, ginger, and rosemary essential oils. Thymol is a monoterpene with strong antimicrobial activity against a wide range of gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria and is one of the most actively researched essential oils. Carvacrol is a phenolic compound like thymol found in oregano, which also has strong antimicrobial activity. HBNO in a world-renowned distributor of essential oils wholesale and we are here to supply your needs.
Increased Efficiency When Using Essential Oils with Cattle
Research shows that essential oils extracted from specific plants can exhibit antimicrobial properties that make them potential antibiotic alternatives for use in the cattle industry. Studies demonstrate that oregano essential oil supplementation can influence ruminal bacterial communities to increase digestibility of dry matter and fiber, while shifting fermentation to reduce molar concentrations of acetate and butyrate to increasing propionate. The modulation of fermentation by oregano essential oil supplementation altered many ruminal bacterial genera that are associated with feed digestibility and ruminal fermentation characteristics.
Liu T, Chen H, Bai Y, et al. Calf starter containing a blend of essential oils and prebiotics affects the growth performance of Holstein calves. Journal of dairy science. 2020;103(3):2315-2323. doi:10.3168/jds.2019-16647
Zhou, R., Wu, J., Lang, X., Liu, L., Casper, D. P., Wang, C., Zhang, L., & Wei, S. (2020). Effects of oregano essential oil on in vitro ruminal fermentation, methane production, and ruminal microbial community. Journal of Dairy Science, 103(3), 2303–2314.
HBNO Quality Control
At HBNO every batch of essential oils is tested to ensure that all requirements and quality controls have been met such as chromatography-mass spectroscopy (GC-MS), sensory analysis for odor and the color; physical analysis for viscosity, moisture, solubility, optical rotation, specific gravity, refractive index, residue on evaporation, and freezing point; as well as chemical analysis for determination of the acid, ester, carbonyl, and aldehyde index, and phenol content. At HBNO, Health and Beauty Natural Oils, the quality of our essential oils is unquestionable, we provide only the best!
Essential Oils for Farmland
- Research shows that essential oils extracted from specific plants can exhibit antimicrobial properties that make them potential antibiotic alternatives for use in the cattle industry.
- Research states that the inclusion of an essential oil blend into a pelleted calf starter (CS) demonstrated promising benefits for enhancing calf growth, ruminal development, gut health, nutrient digestibility, and immunity.
- Studies suggest that essential oils extracted from specific plants can exhibit antimicrobial properties that make them potential antibiotic alternatives for use in the cattle industry.
- The modulation of fermentation by oregano essential oil supplementation altered many ruminal bacterial genera that are associated with feed digestibility and ruminal fermentation characteristics.
Application Practice and Methods of Application
Application practice and methods vary depending on many factors. Individual research is required.
While essential oils are promising and may be a potential antibiotic alternative for use in the cattle industry, it is important to note that some essential oils may be toxic to both humans and animals and cause liver, kidneys, or gastrointestinal tissue problems. Reproductive toxicity has been reported for Oregano (Origanum vulgare) and Wild Mint (Mentha arvensis). Other studies show an adverse effect to essential oils on the genome, genoprotective effects (Syzygium aromaticum ) and genotoxicity, as is the case of Cinnamon and Camphor (Cinnamomum camphor). Personal research into their individual use is necessary.
HBNO - Health and Beauty Natural Oils – Our Mission
- At HBNO our mission is to provide you with the products that are the pinnacle of quality and affordability. Health and Beauty Natural Oils is committed to offering the highest quality essential oils directly from the farmer to you with no middleman in between. As both a manufacturer and retailer we at HBNO are in a position to provide our customers with the most competitive pricing and quality anywhere available. We believe in providing essential oils directly from the living plant to you because ensuring that you receive the absolute best that nature provides is our mission!
HBNO – Health and Beauty Natural Oils - Customer Satisfaction
- CUSTOMER SATISFACTION: We are committed to providing the most reliable service to every customer. However, if for some reason you receive damaged or incorrect items, please contact us through the Amazon platform and we will guarantee your 100% satisfaction. If for any reason you are not absolutely satisfied you will receive a full refund or a replacement of the product from the manufacturer.
We are here to serve you so always feel free to contact us directly. We guarantee friendly, professional after-service.
The above statements are for educational purposes only and have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The above statements are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition in humans or animals. Caution: Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult a health professional prior to use.