The Benefits of Essential Oils for Pigs (Swine)
The global essential oil market is growing, and the sale of bulk essential oils continues to increase due to many factors. The use of an alternative feed additive, extracted from certain essential oils especially from clove oil, nutmeg, basil and bay leaf, and piperine, extracted from black pepper essential oil, improved growth performance, nutrient and energy digestibility, and gut health in weaned piglets. This alternative feed additive was effective in improving growth performance, diets digestibility, and gut health in piglets soon after weaning.
Increased Efficiency When Using Essential Oils with Pigs (swine)
Despite the development in the design of animal housing facilities and cooling technologies, animal health is still severely affected by heat stress. It is estimated that heat stress results in over $300 million annual loss to the American swine industry, and global losses to animal agriculture are in the billions of dollars. Heat stress is characterized by decreasing feed intake, body weight gain (BWG), gain to feed ratio (G:F) and nutrient absorption, as well as damaging small intestine function. The exact mechanisms of heat stress-induced reactions in productivity are unknown. However, heat stress may alter gut microbiota, immune response, and intestinal integrity leading to deterioration in metabolic derangement. Despite numerous efforts, swine production is still severely affected by heat stress worldwide. Research shows that essential oils may be a potential nutritional strategy to alleviate heat stress in growing-finishing pigs.
Research states that Dietary supplementation of essential oil improves growth performance, intestinal morphology, and health in weaned pigs. Study results not only suggest that essential oils additives have a positive role in the regulation of growth and intestinal health in weaned pigs, but also offer a potential candidate substituting the conventionally used antibiotics in the livestock industry.
Many strategies, such as the antibiotic growth promoters, have been developed to improve intestinal health and performance of newly weaned piglets. Essential oils have been scientifically recognized as growth enhancer feed additives for weanling pigs, replacing antibiotics. Natural antimicrobials extracted from oregano have an inhibitory activity against S. aureus strains from swine origin. The supplementation of 2000 ppm oregano essential oil in pig diets is suggested to achieve good consumer acceptability.
Lan, R., & Kim, I. (2018). Effects of feeding diets containing essential oils and betaine to heat-stressed growing-finishing pigs. Archives of Animal Nutrition, 72(5), 368–378.
Su, G., Zhou, X., Wang, Y., Chen, D., Chen, G., Li, Y., & He, J. (2020). Dietary supplementation of plant essential oil improves growth performance, intestinal morphology, and health in weaned pigs. Journal of Animal Physiology and Animal Nutrition, 104(2), 579–589.
Lofa, A., Velasco, V., Gerding, M., López, M. D., Vallejos, D., Bonilla, A. M., & Logue, C. M. (2019). Antibiotic-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains of swine origin: molecular typing and susceptibility to oregano (Origanum vulgare L.) essential oil and maqui (Aristotelia chilensis (Molina) Stuntz) extract. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 127(4), 1048–1056.
Janacua-Vidales, H., Peña-González, E., Alarcon-Rojo, A. D., Ortega-Gutiérrez, J., & Aguilar-Palma, N. (2019). Determination of carcase yield, sensory and acceptance of meat from male and female pigs with dietary supplementation of oregano essential oils. Italian Journal of Animal Science, 18(1), 668–678.
Silva Júnior, C. D., Martins, C. C. S., Dias, F. T. F., Sitanaka, N. Y., Ferracioli, L. B., Moraes, J. E., Pizzolante, C. C., Budiño, F. E. L., Pereira, R., Tizioto, P., Paula, V. R. C., Coutinho, L. L., & Ruiz, U. S. (2020). The use of an alternative feed additive, containing benzoic acid, thymol, eugenol, and piperine, improved growth performance, nutrient and energy digestibility, and gut health in weaned piglets.
HBNO Quality Control
At HBNO every batch of essential oils is tested to ensure that all requirements and quality controls have been met such as chromatography-mass spectroscopy (GC-MS), sensory analysis for odor and the color; physical analysis for viscosity, moisture, solubility, optical rotation, specific gravity, refractive index, residue on evaporation, and freezing point; as well as chemical analysis for determination of the acid, ester, carbonyl, and aldehyde index, and phenol content. At HBNO, Health and Beauty Natural Oils, the quality of our essential oils is unquestionable, we provide only the best!
Essential Oils for Pigs (swine)
- Research states that the inclusion of an essential oil enhancer in feed additives for weanling pigs may replace antibiotics.
- Research shows that essential oils may be a potential nutritional strategy to alleviate heat stress in growing-finishing pigs.
- Supplementation of pigs with an alternative feed additive extracted from certain essential oils especially from clove oil, nutmeg, basil and bay leaf, and piperine, extracted from black pepper essential oil, improved growth performance, nutrient and energy digestibility, and gut health in weaned piglets.
Application Practice and Methods of Application
Application practice and methods vary depending on many factors. Individual research is required.
While essential oils are promising and may be a potential antibiotic alternative for use in the swine industry, it is important to note that some essential oils may be toxic to both humans and animals and cause liver, kidneys, or gastrointestinal tissue problems. Reproductive toxicity has been reported for Oregano (Origanum vulgare) and Wild Mint (Mentha arvensis). Other studies show an adverse effect to essential oils on the genome, genoprotective effects (Syzygium aromaticum ) and genotoxicity, as is the case of Cinnamon and Camphor (Cinnamomum camphor). Personal research into their individual use is necessary.
HBNO - Health and Beauty Natural Oils – Our Mission
- At HBNO our mission is to provide you with the products that are the pinnacle of quality and affordability. Health and Beauty Natural Oils is committed to offering the highest quality essential oils directly from the farmer to you with no middleman in between. As both a manufacturer and retailer we at HBNO are in a position to provide our customers with the most competitive pricing and quality anywhere available. We believe in providing essential oils directly from the living plant to you because ensuring that you receive the absolute best that nature provides is our mission!
HBNO – Health and Beauty Natural Oils - Customer Satisfaction
- CUSTOMER SATISFACTION: We are committed to providing the most reliable service to every customer. However, if for some reason you receive damaged or incorrect items, please contact us through the Amazon platform and we will guarantee your 100% satisfaction. If for any reason you are not absolutely satisfied you will receive a full refund or a replacement of the product from the manufacturer.
We are here to serve you so always feel free to contact us directly. We guarantee friendly, professional after-service.
The above statements are for educational purposes only and have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The above statements are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition in humans or animals. Caution: Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult a health professional prior to use.